Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm still here...

and I have actually been quilting. I've just been so dang busy lately with my new job and taking Spanish classes. Between my commute time and class time and homework time, there's just not a lot of time for much else.

But slowly & surely I've been piecing this - Batik Bricks. Originally I'd bought the red & purple fabrics to make a quilt for a friend but when I showed her another batik quilt she told me that she wasn't really a fan. So much for that - I figured I'd just make it for myself. The thing is... I'm not a huge fan of the color combination.


So I'm going to finish this one up, but I don't know what I'm going to do with it. All I know is I've got to stop making quilts for other people. Or at least I need to make a bunch more for me first.


I was reading on another blog a couple weeks ago about quilts as works of arts or as functional pieces... and in the comments there was a split among the quilters, some who want their quilts used and loved and worn to pieces over a lifetime on beds & couches and others who liked to keep their quilts pristine, see them as works of art & display them proudly, or keep them safely tucked away in closets to look at once in a while. Obviously those are the two extremes, and most people are somewhere in the middle. But personally I'm a use 'em to bits kind of quilter.

But I do also like the artistic aspect of quilting and... my personal confession is that sometimes I take out all of my quilts just to look at them. =)


Ok - back to homework now. Tengo mucho tarea.

3 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Well ~I~ happen to think it looks smashing. So there.

Melissa said...

I agree, you need to make more quilts just for *you*! In your last post you had made a quilt to sell and then ended up loving it. Perhaps this is the quilt you should sell, since you don't like the color combo? (I'm not a purple & red fan either.)

All your quilts laid out like that are so gorgeous! I love the pink and orange one with all the little squares.

jovaliquilts said...

I was just thinking how much I like the purple and red combo when you said you didn't much care for it!

I love that you get out all your quilts and look at them! They look great lying there all together!