Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Not with a bang, but a whimper

Thus ends my career as an English Language teacher in Thailand.

Um. Yeah.




In one of those circle of life moments the last class I taught here was the same private lesson as the first class I taught here. They haven't improved much. In fact they were and still are by far the least advanced of any of my students, despite now being in the pre-intermediate book. They're good guys, but none too bright. They don't have a proper set of teeth between them, and finally after nearly a year of teaching them I realized that the reason one of them had such horrid pronunciation was that he's deaf! I'm not sure *how* deaf, but the clues had been adding up until I finally saw his hearing aide. D'OH!





Anyway, in the previous class they'd made some reference to taking me out to dinner, but it didn't happen. We had some small talk, went through a work sheet and then played scrabble.... really really really bad scrabble. It was lame. And that was that. I'm officially unemployed.


And demonstrating exactly how unlucky I am, we've got a tropical depression* moving in and can expect heavy rains & probably flooding for the next three or four days. So my whole 'hang out on a tropical beach for a week' plan has gone out the window. I wouldn't even mind hanging out at a cafe near the beach in a rain storm... but the ferries won't go out in stormy weather. I think I'm going to take a day or two to sort things out.... and you know.... pack.







TAG: Code Watermelon


* You know, I think I might have a bit of Tropical Depression myself. I've been down, and my brain is not quite working normally - whatever normal is. But I keep telling myself, I'm here - I'm out living life, and nothing really bad has happened to me, so I can't be depressed. And sometimes I feel pretty good, so I don't know. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Bezzie said...

Onward and upward!

Is that a wig in your pile of stuff? That reddish thing there near the bottom right???