Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ethnic Foods

The other day I ran into Donny (my half Swiss, half Filipino friend who's lived in Thailand most of his life) at Tesco. He was buying socks, and I was buying some food. We chatted and fell into step with each other as we continued shopping.





Donny "So what else do you need?"



Rebel "Soup."

Donny "Soup? Like noodles? Over here." He steered us down the ramen aisle. More packets of noodles than I'd ever seen in one place in the US. A good 1/5th of the aisle was just devoted to cup-o-soup type noodles, pork, chicken, shrimp, squid, spicy, super spicy, nuclear spicy, Thai style, Japanese style, Korean style.





Rebel "No, soup, like soup." I said and steered us back to the ethnic foods aisle. Or rather the aisle of miscellaneous canned goods of which about 2 feet of shelf space are devoted to western foods. I scanned down past the peanut butter and spam, past the mayonaise and nutella and found what I was looking for on the second to bottom shelf. Considering briefly the four varieties of Campbells Soup available, I picked up a couple of cans of Chicken and Vegetable soup and placed them in my basket.





Donny bewildered... "You really eat that stuff?"




My kitchen


TAG: Code Sticky Rice

4 comments:

Bezzie said...

ever have campbell's wonton? sooooo gross but soooo good!

Anonymous said...

ugh...I am sorry but I can't stand that either! The "ethnic food" section in my little local grocery store has $5 jars of peanut butter and jelly, some tortilla chips, a few random Chinese sauces, and (thank GOD!) Thai rice noodles and fish sauce!

Rebel said...

You know, it's one of those homesickness things. I don't usually eat campbells soup at home (chicken noodle with a dash of hot sauce when I'm sick)- and I never go to McDonalds... but here, it's the closest I can get to 'normal' food for me so I have it a lot more often.

Michael5000 said...

: )