Monday, June 2, 2008

Solar Power

I'm solar powered. There's no other way to explain it. The cold, grey, drizzly weather kills my motivation to do anything other than lay on the couch under a quilt with an over sized cat on my stomach. I remember a day in June, several years ago actually. I was working outside and the weather was miserable... well, not so much miserable as typical - grey, cold, damp Oregon weather. I was grumbling and complaining, I hated everything. As we were walking, the clouds parted and the sun came out, it warmed up a bit and before I knew it I was chipper again - literally skipping through the lawn singing. Solar powered I tell you.

This is perhaps the best explanation (excuse?) for why I did absolutely nothing productive this weekend. I had a big long to-do list planned out, it involved finishing up a CELTA application, studying some Thai, and cleaning out a couple of my closets. What I actually did on Saturday was spend about an hour on my application and hung out reading "Culture Shock! Thailand" on Council Crest - making the most of the 'sun breaks' and wishing I'd brought a warmer sweater. Sunday however, started out cold and rainy and never got much better. I barely made it off the couch. I knit a couple rounds on pink socks #2, and sewed borders onto a secret quilt top.

I probably spent about 10 (20? 30? one loses count) hours playing Tetris Worlds this weekend. And I still haven't beaten level 15 of Fusion Tetris... I've gotten close, but I always run out of time. Somehow I feel like if I can just beat this level, I'll be able to move on. As any addict will tell you - just one more game.

The good news is, it's supposed to get sunny... well, "partly sunny" here, so I might actually get a bit more work done. Wednesday will be my last day of work. I'm giving myself the month of June off. Well, I need to finish up my CELTA applications (at least two more after the one I'm working on), and continue reading up on Thailand, teaching, grammar etc.... but beyond that I'm not going to look for paid employment until I've gone through what I have in my checking account (well, plus my last paycheck & vacation pay). When I start dipping into my savings I'll start looking for some part time work. And when that runs out... if I'm still here... expect a plaintive knock at your door.



6 comments:

Karin said...

You still managed to get way more done than me. I went to one sunny potluck, the Starlight Parade and had a very challenging conversation with Mr. Karin.

Then I took to the couch with a bag of chips until this morning.
:(

Bridget said...

Really glad to know that I am not the only one who is finding The-Winter-That-Will-Not-Go-Away here in Portland a little tough to manage . . . It's like I've had to force myself to anything the last month.

Bezzie said...

Don't worry, soon even the sun not shining won't stop you!

Olga said...

We are creatures of that star alright. I sure need a heavy dose of sunlight to get my butt moving.

Rebel said...

I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I read the local weatherman's blog & apparently everyone in the news office is grumpy too. Even he admitted that it was the lack of sun. We only had one genuinely 'sunny' day in the entire month of May. I feel justified in spending the weekend on the couch now.

gl. said...

ugh. i know! when will the vitamin d rain down on us like the h20? it's the first week of june, for crying out loud!

@karin: challenging conversations aren't helped by this sort of weather. :(