Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Rebel's Book Club - The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

So I finished reading The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Hmmm. I enjoyed it. It was a nice story, the writing is good, and I enjoyed the imagery. But there really wasn't much to it. Am I missing something? So many people told me this was a great book, and while I would recommend it as a nice easy summer read, I'm not sure where the glowing reviews come from.

Have you read it? Did you love it? Do you think it's over-rated?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I read it and felt the same way. It was nice, but not something I'd run out to recommend to others.

Michael5000 said...

Isn't that by Whatshisname McCall Smith? I read something or other by him a few years ago, and felt pretty much the same way. I remember the setting where I read it better than the book itself -- on a bench by the river in Shrewsbury on a lovely English afternoon.....

Stacey said...

I pretty mucI felt the same way - a nice light read. I think most of his books are the same way - he puts out so many!

Anonymous said...

I picked up this book by chance at the Vegas airport because I'd finished my plane reading on the trip while visiting my mom. I was really impressed by his ability to capture the flavor of Botswana and translate it onto the page. Between that and his writing of Precious, who's an utterly charming character, meant I really liked it.

Rebel said...

You have a point gorgeous - I really enjoyed Precious' character, confident, no-nonsense and wiley when she needed to be.